Upcoming Events

Town Hall Closed

22 Nov, 2018 — 23 Nov, 2018   
  • Time
    22 Nov, 2018 — 23 Nov, 2018
${DataItem.Address.Title}
${DataItem.Address.MarkerText}

Town Board Meeting Cancelled

15 Nov, 2018 — 15 Nov, 2018   
Event details

The Town Board meeting for tonight November 15, 2018 has been cancelled due to inclement weather.

  • Time
    15 Nov, 2018 — 15 Nov, 2018
${DataItem.Address.Title}
${DataItem.Address.MarkerText}

Planning Board Meeting

14 Nov, 2018 PM 7:00 — 14 Nov, 2018 PM 8:30   
Event details

Technical Review Meeting immediately following Planning Board Meetings as needed

  • Time
    14 Nov, 2018 PM 7:00 — 14 Nov, 2018 PM 8:30
${DataItem.Address.Title}
${DataItem.Address.MarkerText}

Veteran's Day Service

11 Nov, 2018 AM 10:55 — 11 Nov, 2018 AM 11:30   
Event summary
At Crawford Town Park 19 Red Mills Road
  • Time
    11 Nov, 2018 AM 10:55 — 11 Nov, 2018 AM 11:30
${DataItem.Address.Title}
${DataItem.Address.MarkerText}

Walking Trail Closes for the Season at Dusk

10 Nov, 2018 — 10 Nov, 2018   
  • Time
    10 Nov, 2018 — 10 Nov, 2018
${DataItem.Address.Title}
${DataItem.Address.MarkerText}

Zoning Board Meeting

07 Nov, 2018 PM 7:30 — 07 Nov, 2018 PM 8:30   
  • Time
    07 Nov, 2018 PM 7:30 — 07 Nov, 2018 PM 8:30
${DataItem.Address.Title}
${DataItem.Address.MarkerText}

Town of Crawford Historical Society

  Contact Information
President
Joanne Keilor 

P: (845) 744-6995

The Town of Crawford was incorporated in 1823. However, its development had its beginnings well before that year. It made significant progress since its early days. When started as an inland, wooded and rocky area which grew slowly at first. Many old maps have various names for the area we know today as Crawford. Crawford was originally part of the Town of Montgomery, as shown by the Montgomery town records from approximately 1768 through 1777.

The first settlers of the area were of German, Dutch, Scottish and Irish decent. These early settlers migrated north from the Wallkill River area. The descendants of the Huguenot and Dutch ancestries migrated south from Ulster County, near the New Paltz and Shawangunk areas to what is now Crawford. The main reason for this migration was for farming areas for the families to cultivate and make a living from. Many of the old families still have descendants in Crawford. The names of Bruyn, Bull, Crawford, Youngblood, Sinsbaugh, and others are still families that line within the Crawford town limits. Many of these families also came to the Crawford area from Newburgh, Montgomery, and New Windsor areas.

Early settlements have recorded documentation in the Town of Montgomery records. Many of the early names for the area were Dwaars Kill, Shawangunk Kill, Snyder's Mill, Big and Little Pokanisink, Snyder's Meeting House and Robert Milligan’s Saw Mill. Johannes Snyder was one of the earliest settlers in the town, which later became known as Crawford. He began a small settlement on both sides of the Dwaar Kill near the present hamlet of Searsville at about 1740. He operated a mill at this location in 1768, and had a major role in establishing a meetinghouse in the same hamlet. Robert Milliken operated a saw mill on the opposite side of the town on the Shawangunk Kill at around the same period. Below Millikin's saw mill, there was a flour mill operated by Pat Boyce, as did Abraham Bruyn in the same location. In addition to these mills along the Shawangunk Kill, there also existed a combined saw, grist, and carding mill run by the Slotts family.